Friday 1 March 2019

Fourteen and five feet apart.

‘Five Feet Apart’ is a Hollywood film due out this spring starring some young famous hunk (the fact that I still use the word hunk explains perfectly why I have never heard of him). I don’t know much about it yet, I’ve not seen the movie much less read the book, but the trailer looks a lot ‘the fault in our stars’ish, but this time around the subject of two Cystic Fibrosis patients who fall in love, ultimately risking the cross infection of bugs which could prove detrimental to their health - unless they stay five feet apart at all times (as hospital guidelines dictate about limiting cross infection risks in CF). 

A number of CF bloggers/vloggers have responded to this already.... and it’s proving pretty divisive. I can relate to the negative attitudes to the film; seeing CF depicted in medical dramas again and again in the past has always left a bitter taste in my mouth - too inaccurate, too cringy, and you’d need an Oscar worthy performance to get that CF cough right (they never do). Why can’t they do their homework, actually meet a CF patient and ask decent questions? 

On the other hand - this is Hollywood, and with that comes big time awareness. People will google CF. People will learn about CF; that alone can be invaluable to a sufferer. Hell, they may even donate to fund research.... so that has to be good, right? And, I also know Clare Wineland was involved in the film before her death, so maybe this time we can be hopeful for a more accurate depiction of the disease too. 

From our own perspective it worries me in terms of the attention Isaac may receive from his friends at school...

All of them will know he misses a lot of school. 
Some will know that is because he is in hospital a lot. 
A few will know that is because he has CF (his life, his choice). 
But right now, even fewer will really understand what that might mean for him, and a film aimed at his exact demographic might change that. 

More on this later as I’ve been asked (via the CF Trust) by the film makers to provide a response to the film (waiting to see what this entails exactly). 



Today Isaac turned 14. My darling boy. Every one of Isaac’s birthdays have been emotional for me (today was part celebration, part hugging baby pictures and snotily weeping about how time goes too quickly, part producing a soggy banana cake which cemented my reputation as the terrible birthday cake baker that I am). As my first born, perhaps I am not just celebrating him, but also my leap into motherhood fourteen years ago (best decision I ever made).... x 

Little Isaac.