Wednesday 1 October 2014

Transplant


One of the funniest people I know, who also happens to have CF, has recently had the scary news that she is unwell enough now to warrant a lung transplant, because her own lungs are no longer behaving (read, really quite crappy). 

She has a lovely husband, a fantastic son, and parents...and friends... and a three legged dog..... and she bloody deserves every single second more that a transplant might offer her, when she is ready to take it on. 

I can't imagine what she is going through right now; Go on the list now, and go forward for a transplant, with the risks of not surviving the operation? Or wait, and risk getting so ill before the chance of a transplant, and not survive? Or to go on the list now, only to find you're in the 'one in three' that does not survive the (too long) waiting list? ....Or go on the list at some point, survive, and go on to enjoy some fantastic good health with new lungs....the generous gift of a complete stranger. This is what I would summarise as a HEAD FUCK (excuse the swearing, but this one really warrants it). 

I'm sorry, that last paragraph seems too crude and is simplifying an issue that is anything but simple.... But this really is a life or death kind of thing. I can only guess at the questions I would have if it were me. 

I don't know what decision she will come to, or when, or what is going through her mind right now, I only know this;

That if she missed out on the chance of a transplant just because someone thought to sign the organ donor register, and forgot, or didn't let their wishes known to their family before they died? What a waste that would be. Sign up, and let your loved ones know your wishes. My friend, and hundreds others waiting for an organ, deserve that chance. 

Click Here to sign up. Thank you x