Monday 9 March 2020

COVID-19 isolation; strange times

We have been told now to keep Isaac at home indefinitely due to the risk of Corona virus. 

No great surprise; we ended his two weeks of IVs today with his lung function slightly down on when we started (I’m gutted), he is less symptomatic, but there is still a crackle/wheeze to his huff. Not great news - but his team are keen he has a break from IVs and see what happens as he continues to recover from his recent op. 

What we don’t know is what precautions we need to take as a family to protect him. I can work from home (just about) but Dan is a self-employed builder (with a lower risk though; small team, and mostly outside), so does he carry on working? Worse, if schools do not yet close, do we keep Anouk and Rosa home sooner? Do we allow visitors? Do we shop? 

We get individually wrapped Clinel wipes for Isaac’s sterile port/IV care supplied by the hospital, but I also purchase packs of Clinel general wipes (that are frequently used on hospital wards) myself. Clinic don’t usually supply these to us at home, but to clean non-sterile (but still needs to be super clean) apparatus, they are ideal. I use these to clean his nebulisers, the table before starting to prep IVs, and to move from room to room with his IV drugs in hand (I am apron/gloved up, but I need to open door handles etc. to get to his room). Anyway, they come in big packs which last us a month or so, and rather than ask the hospital for these, I simply order them online for around £5 a packet. Today, three packets are advertised on amazon for £375. 

Amid other news that hand sanitiser gels have been stolen from hospital wards, putting those most at risk, at more risk, I am weirdly reminded of the kind of post-apocalyptic/zombie TV series where humans all turn on each other (Dan adores these - I strongly suspect he may have buried emergency supplies in the garden, such is his obsession). 

Someone told me today that he expects police/military on the streets guarding against looting within a month; another thinks it will have blown over by then. I’m not so sure.... I read about some CF families keeping the whole family home and not allowing any visitors, and then in the next breath, those who have been reassured that this will likely not be much more than a cold, so are carrying on as normal. I get the data. I see between the headlines. I know where to find impartial facts (I think).... and.... I have also seen Isaac have a flu virus before that took him from being OK, having IV antibiotics on the ward, to very suddenly being in intensive care on *Optiflow ventilation, reliant on this for high flow oxygen, in a wheelchair for many weeks, and a full recovery which took many months - not fun. 

I think it’s entirely appropriate to have a plan for those more vulnerable in society that is different to everyone else. This is not a one size fits all situation. I get that this is will be a medium to long term issue, but I am keen that we see the government take a proactive stance, not a reactive one. And I’m scared. 

Stay well friends x 

*Having been through our experience on PICU, I am only too aware of how limited resources are (such as Optiflow and our amazing doctors and nurses) .... and which during this pandemic, will be far, far exceeded. We need to support our NHS in any way we can during this time. 

A very little Isaac and Anouk x