Friday 1 February 2019

Flu.

It started with a pounding head. 
Fevers. Shivering. 
My limbs ache, my bones hurt. 
Are these even my legs? 
Feeling so cold in three jumpers, two quilts, lying in front of the fire. 
Incredible thirst. Sip water, feel sick. 
Can’t stand bright lights. 
Vision blurred. Can’t watch TV, can’t read. 
The whole world has dark edges. 
Head pounding. 
I sleep and sleep and sleep. 
My head tells me to eat, but food has no taste. 
I eat, I feel sick. 
I cough so much it hurts. 
I cough and then I’m sick. 
Fevers, fevers, fevers. 
I need to be horizontal, always. To live in a dark world under covers. 
Day five and I manage to take the girls the five minute walk to school, but it takes an hour lying down to recover. 
Day six and I’m still sleeping all day. 
My head pounds, but all I can think is ‘what if Isaac catches this?’ on a loop, before I fall into a restless, cold heap of sleep, waking only to cough up more crap.

I will be fine.

Today Isaac came home with a fever. 

I called the hospital, they won’t consider anti-virals as he has had the flu jab (so have I) and until he is more symptomatic. 
Please please please don’t let him have this x 


Rene Magritte.