Monday 30 July 2018

Hospital and hoping for holidays...

Isaac was admitted to hospital today. He is exhausted and coughing, but otherwise OK. His sputum is noticeably ickier than his norm. As usual, he amazes us with his chilled and accepting attitude, but this time he is worried as we go on holiday soon and so have a time limit to get him better, or risk missing out. Kick arse IVs and intensive physio is our plan A to get him there. I can’t tell you how crushed he would be (our first big holiday in two years) not to mention the girls if they had to go ahead without him. As we are driving (South of France) our plan B would be for me and him to fly down and catch them up when he’s well enough, if that’s even affordable/possible. 

Sometimes I feel like I’m not, not coping, but neither am I coping. Reading that sentence back, I’m thinking this is a sign of some pretty fucking muddled thinking! It’s certainly pretty hard not to get angry that he has to go through so much. On admission today I went through his list of medicines with a doctor, a nurse and then a pharmacist (we always have to do this, I’m never quite sure why so many times). The pharmacist placed her hand on my arm as I listed them off; so many drugs (and that’s without the IVs) why aren’t they keeping him well??? It’s been just three weeks since his last IVs. He needs a break. 

We went to clinic this morning for lung function tests, but as there was no doctor available there, we then had to be admitted via A&E, where we stood in a queue for 45 minutes with a guy in serious chest pain, a drunk woman who vomited on the floor, and a woman with a teeny tiny cut on the top of her head. Thank god for triage. In the end, it was all pointless anyway as the doctor never even came, they just phoned down to A&E to say Isaac was to be admitted as his lung function had fallen significantly and he so obviously needed treatment. NHS I love you, but the crazy bureaucracy less so.

Please send well wishes x