Saturday 31 March 2018

Needles and big fat fails.

After two weeks of IV antibiotics, Isaac was blowing better for his lung function tests, but not quite well enough to finish the IVs while his chest still sounded wet with huffing. And so the course was continued for an extra four days to top him up, bringing us up to the bank holiday weekend. This meant no clinic, and no community nurses, and although we have open access to the ward should we need it, we agreed that I could remove the needle from his port myself. Simple I thought....

Only, delivering drugs through a line into his blood stream is one thing, but actually inserting or removing that line (and gripper needle, which is in his port for the duration of the course of antibiotics) is kind of something else - his skin grows over his port, so it’s not like simply removing something from his port alone..... it’s pulling a needle through his flesh, my closest experience is home piercing ears as a teenager (not something I would recommend). 

So I braced myself; all I needed to do was flush the line with saline, followed by an extra strong Hepsal (like a very strong plug unblocker, to ensure the line in his chest remains clear for next time). I got my gauze and plasters ready for the bleeding. Isaac laid down. I gloved up, and got ready to pull. I anchored his port with one hand, and with the other pulled up hard. The needle made a popping, suctiony sound as released, and I stemmed the bleeding. I’d done it! My first time from his port....

Only as soon as it was out I realised that I’d forgotten the bloody Hepsal flush!  

Now I can tell you that there is not much worse than feeling that you have failed your child like this, especially one who endures so much already. I had been so focussed on the needle part, I had forgotten the simple flush. 

In tears I called the ward.... who were hugely reassuring. His line still has Hepsal in it, from the last dose of IVs I had given, only in a weaker solution. This means his line will be fine, only it’s likely he will need to be reaccessed on Tuesday now (the needle put back in) only to give him the correct flush, to ensure his line will be clear for next time. It’s not the end of the world, and Isaac is laughing about it, but kicking myself is an understatement x