Friday 4 November 2022

Going with the bug shit flow

Our last week has been good. We have, I think, weird viral bugs that we share around the family freely and abundantly. Weird fevers, coughs, lost voices… but nothing awful. That time of year stuff. We are all vaxxed up to our eyeballs (that’s a lie actually, Isaac needs a fourth COVID vax, but wasn’t well enough on the day to have it, so we’re rescheduling that one, but flu wise, we are super powered) and so doing all we can do. Fluids and oranges now. If you have not yet had your flu vaccine, I urge you to look into it. Not just for yourselves, but for those in society more vulnerable. 

I’m trying to go with the flow, and by that, I mean I know that Isaac is going downhill again. Two weeks into extra oral abx for his random fevers, his chest is now worsening. He has been able to work this week, which is fantastic, but we have clinic next week and hearing his chest right now (and constant huff), I’m anticipating more treatment. Instead of dreading it, I’m trying to accept and embrace. Extra treatment, albeit exhausting (IVs) concerning (too soon after his last exacerbation) is a privilege - we are so thankful to live in an age where we have these options, and in a country where we have free access. It’s not an easy life, but it is our life, and we love it. 

Besides, perhaps I’m wrong and he’ll ace his tests. Anything is possible. If he doesn’t, I will be asking for extra tests since it’s been a while and jumping to treatment without lab results/chest x-ray/CT scans is always a bit of a stab in the dark. In adult care we notice they rely more on bloods than they do these other tests which we were used to in paediatrics. 

If you too are bug ridden, feel better soon x x x 

Missing them being this ickle ❤️