Thursday 17 November 2022

Foggy days




Foggy fen days, while surround sound coughing prevails at home. 

I’ve been signed off sick for two weeks, with the most evil bug I’ve had in years. My chest and voice have not been great since we got back from holiday, in early September, and finally floored me. I cough until I’m sick, multiple times a day. I don’t sleep. My voice is a quieter than a mouse and croakier than a frog in palliative care. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks on diva like ‘voice rest’. Not easy with the kids… I mostly hold up signs saying things like ‘no frickin way!!’ or ‘ask your Papa!!!’ and the dog doesn’t get it at all, but I suppose that might be because he’s German. 

Huge thank you to all our family for the food, love and help: Ivan and Hjordis for covering lifts to hospital with Isaac; Mum for the soup and never ending offers of help; my gorgeous girls for doing so much for me while I can’t and not complaining; my sister for making plans we can all look forward to later. 

Trying a second lot of antibiotics, high dose steroids, anti-sickness drugs, inhalers and nasal sprays. All will be well, it’s just frustratingly taking a while. 

Isaac is much the same as he was last time I wrote. Intermittent fevers, more coughing, achyness. I’m dreading him catching this too, but most likely it’s the same he bought back from holiday. Hospital today revealed his nasal polyps are back with a vengeance and will need surgery, mega disappointing so soon after his last surgery. He’ll be scheduled for surgery only when the sinus headaches return and he can no longer smell. The good news is that it’s a simple op, after the last big surgery, the bad news is that NHS waiting times are simply scary right now. 

CF means we always have to look ahead and plan for the big events early. We know he’ll need IVs and extra intervention soon, but ideally not so soon that he’ll be going downhill again before holidays. So for now, we are home and keeping each other company, the fire is lit and I have a dog on my lap (Obie never leaves my side when I’m sick) - hoping we’ll have all the bugs out the way before Christmas. 

We are warm, we are home, we are fed, and we love in mucous filled abundance. We are still the fortunate ones x 

Rosa: The ponies just keep on getting bigger.