Wednesday 18 January 2017

A&E and the amazing NHS

We spent last night on A&E with our little Rosa. 

Let me first say, there is not much more that I hate than people who clog up A&E departments with non urgent cases, least of all those who use ambulances when they could drive themselves. In the next cubicle was a mother and daughter who were there because the little girls heart rate 'seemed a bit fast'. Could be worrying, sure, but as the story unfolded, both the mother and child admitted that this happened quite often, and only when she was feeling a bit panicky. Sure, not a great situation for either of them, but if it had happened many times before, and was related to stressful situations, why did this become an emergency on this random Tuesday night? After a heart trace and some reassuring words from the doctors they were sent on their way. Because this is what the NHS does, it cares for A&E, anything and everything. 

Despite our regular visits to hospital, we've never made the trip in an ambulance, but for our dramatic little Rosa (now 4), it would have to be her vehicle of choice. She fell down the stairs, hitting the back of her head all the way (we think, we only heard the duh duh duh duh duh...). Poor tink. I thought I could manage her tears, and Dan was about to take the big two to swimming class so I ushered them off. However the crying soon turned to sleep, blurred vision (I can't see you Mama!') and then vomiting. So I calmly (my arse) called 111 to ask what I should do, but given the two warning signs of concussion (blurred vision and vomiting) they immediately despatched an ambulance, despite my insistence that I could drive. By now, Rosa only wanted cuddles, darkness and sleep. We spent a few hours in (we were almost allowed home at one point, when she hadn't been sick for two hours, but as we got up to go she was sick into Dans eyebrow) before being allowed home to just keep a watchful eye on her. I spent the whole time there in my PJ's (I have no clothes that fit over a catheter bag of pee strapped to my thigh), whoozy on Tramadol (I'm still on these, post Op, but cutting back, unfortunately I'd just taken one when she fell). Glamorous look I tell you. 

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this tale with you, my lovely readers, as yet another example (as if I need one) of the endlessly amazing NHS. They keep saying the NHS is at 'breaking point', and yes, I see the tiredness in the faces of our fantastic nurses and doctors, and don't doubt that the Trust is in financial crisis, but let's not forget that they continue to provide the most amazing care, with the least amount of complaining. I bloody love our NHS. 

In other news, from a very good friend with a lump in her breast, another whose Dad may be dieing and who has her own health fears, a baby back in hospital again due to Bronchiolitis, Isaac who is back on extra antibiotics for his chest, another friend who has had cancer treatment and a hip op and who is still struggling, and a pregnant friend who is feeling frustrated and upset....  I think we can be forgiven for feeling a little bit cursed right now.... If I believed in luck I would be thinking that surely things have got to get better? They will, they have to! We are overdue a bloody party. My friends, I am here for you, as you are for me (so often). Love you all x 

Our beautiful, feisty little Rosa;