Tuesday 30 August 2016

Organ donations don't just prolong lives, they save lives.

I read a recent article in the paper about someone receiving an organ donation, and how this 'prolonged their life'.

The whole article kind of bugged me, and I've finally worked out why; 


Consider this; you will never make it onto a transplant waiting list unless your doctors feel that you have no other option. That most likely, you have less than 2 years to live with the damaged organs that you have. It's no easy thing, making it onto this magic list; it involves countless tests, counselling, and heart wrenching decisions. And after the HF that it is to agree to go on the list (Am I ready? Am I sick enough? Will I be too sick later if I delay?) you may still not be accepted if tests reveal you to be too risky for transplantation (and I get that doctors have to make incredibly hard decisions based on the evidence and experience they have, as organs are scarce, but still, it makes me so unbelievably sad.... because then what? Home, and wait for the inevitable? This is a reality for many). But anyway, I digress, say you do get to join the magic list, and you're not one of the 1 in 3 who die waiting (due to a massive shortage of people signing up as organ donors and crucially telling their loved ones about their wishes) and you receive those so vitally needed organs from a generous stranger; then is this saving your life, or prolonging it? 


I mean, we all die, right? If I grab a child about to run across the road, rather than allowing them to run right in front of a balding Audi driver with an inner rage issue; am I saving their life, or prolonging it? If that child lived then, but later tragically died 5 years later in another way, would my saving them initially be any less worthy? 

What worries me is that telling people that organ donation 'prolongs' rather than 'saves' lives might mean less people sign up. Will it make people think their decision is any less valuable, important, worthy, vital, altruistic, generous.....kind? 

Lung transplantion in CF is not a cure. I get that. So you may say that technically, the 'prolong' bit may be in some way correct. If Isaac had a lung transplant he would be swapping one set of treatments (treatment for lung infections and inflammation) for another (anti rejection), and he would still have CF in his other organs. It would be no easy ride, of that I am sure. There would be huge risks; side effects; unknowns. And possibly - limited life expectancy still. But do we measure life in days? Or happiness,  passions, friends, family, quality of life, potential, love? Is he not worthy of that chance, however much longer that chance would give him? 

And what of the donor? And their family? Would the fact that the recipient only lived a few more years make their gift any less valuable? I don't think so. 

We have a lot to learn yet about chronic rejection after transplant, and many continue to fall victim while we do, but there are organ recipients living decades post transplant. Seriously, decades! How great is that? 

Live life then give life. Please sign up for organ donation here and remember, if you don't tell your loved ones of your choice, then signing up alone is meaningless as the decision remains with them at that tragic time when you shuffle off this mortal coil. 

With love x